- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2–3 cups), fat trimmed, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium-sized potatoes (2–3 cups), washed and diced small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 large celery stalk, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning*
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups favorite vegetables diced small or cut into 1-inch pieces (beans, mushrooms, corn, squash, etc.)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups Dragone® Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Dragone® Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 14 uncooked (3-inch) biscuits from the “Easy Cheesy Biscuits” recipe (or store-bought, 8-piece biscuit dough)
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, beaten with a fork to form egg wash
*If the poultry seasoning does not have sodium, add ¼ teaspoon salt.
Heat the oven to 375°F.
In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, cook 2 tablespoons of the butter and the onions until the onions are tender and translucent, about 2–3 minutes.
Stir in the chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, poultry seasoning and black pepper and continue to cook on medium high heat until the chicken is cooked through, 10–15 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
When the chicken is cooked, add the flour and the additional 3 tablespoons of butter and continue to stir until the butter is melted and the flour is thoroughly incorporated. When no flour is visible, add your favorite vegetables and the chicken broth. Stir until it’s brought up to a boil (3–5 minutes), and then stir in the Dragone® Ricotta Cheese and Dragone® Fresh Mozzarella Cheese. Continue to cook until the mixture is up to a boil, and allow it to boil for an additional 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the cheese is melted, stirring continuously. Remove it from the heat and season it to taste.
Arrange 14 (3-inch) uncooked biscuits from the “Easy Cheesy Biscuits” recipe or 8 uncooked store-bought biscuits on top of the mixture so that the biscuits touch but are not over lapping. Brush the dough with the egg wash. Note: You will have extra biscuits from the “Easy Cheesy Biscuits” recipe you can bake and serve alongside the pot pie.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown and the sauce is bubbly. You may need to keep a sheet tray at the bottom of your oven to catch any drips.
Rad Tip: Make your own poultry seasoning! Combine 1 teaspoon each of sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper and salt.
Recipe courtesy of Emily Ellyn, Retro Rad Chef. Find more recipes at www.EmilyEllyn.com.